Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

You Think Imran's Day is Awesome?

For those of you who think IT is easy work and simply "Glorified Tech Support", you're right.

Except for those days where when everything is sailing smoothly and you suddenly hit an endangered whale and end up killing the last of its kind.

This my friends, we call a disaster.

Not only have you killed a rare and precious creature, you have also angered all those that were trying to safeguard it from the delicate imbalances of the world. You asshole.

That's when they turned on me. Here I am sitting in my corner, I have a corner in one of my offices, not a real office, just some space where they thought they should throw the computer equipment along with the their computer guy, me. My corner begins to shrink as faculty members crowd around me complaining about the network being down, not blaming me for it being down, but blaming me for it not being back up. Golly!

Power failures galore! The network seemed to have gone down after the entire building witnessed the occasional power outage over the weekend. Typically all is fine and dandy once the power is back up, but not this time. I went computer to computer reinstalling network drivers and this did in fact fix the issue, but when I came in the following morning I heard reports of no network connectivity. Sheisse.

After three days of toiling and isolating the issue, I finally found out that one of the grad students fucked up. Someone had plugged both ends of the same ethernet cable into a switch located in the grad students restricted research room.

I mentioned this to the professor of the grad students and she was trying to tell me I was wrong for thinking that the network went down because of this... really?

Now that the crisis is indeed over, I can get back to the crap load of work that piled up while I was fixing the network.

I am not complaining so much as I am sharing, IT work is great, but there are some situations where you'd rather be playing hookie.

Hookie sounds like hookah... weird...

No comments:

Post a Comment